Canine Good Citizen Classes
- The house Dog Obedience class or an equivalent obedience class is required as a prerequisite for this class.
- There is no age requirement to take the CGC test, however, when puppies pass the CGC test, they should be retested as adults, as we know that behavior and temperament can change over time.
This class covers all of the skills needed in order to pass the AKC CGC test. Any breed or mixed breeds of dog can register with AKC and take the test. Test items include:
- Accepting a Friendly Stranger
- Sitting Politely for Petting
- Appearance and Grooming
- Out for a Walk (Walking on a loose lead)
- Walking Through a Crowd
- Sit and Down on Command and Staying in Place
- Coming when Called
- Reaction to another dog
- Reaction to Distraction
- Supervised Separation
Visit the AKC CGC page for more information
- Must be current on all vaccinations including Distemper/Parvovirus and Rabies
- A recent exam by a veterinarian where dog was deemed healthy
- Dogs attending this class should not display extreme anxiety, fear or aggression around other dogs or people. If your dog struggles with any of these problem behaviors, we can address them with private lessons!
The Canine Good Citizen Class meets at Pine Woods Animal Hospital in North Tonawanda in the Wellness Building on a weekday evening. The weekday will be announced when registration opens. You will register for a six week session, meeting at the same day and time each class. The final class of the session will be the test day. If you do not see a day or time available then the current session is full and the new session has not yet opened.
$150 per session (six 1 hour classes) or Take the test only for $20. Please note, students enrolled in class have first priority for test day. We may or may not be able to accommodate you for a test only option. Please email for more information.
Please be advised that when booking a Canine Good Citizen class, that attendance is mandatory. Refunds and reschedules will not be offered for missed classes.
*Payments accepted are cash, check, PayPal, and Venmo.